Denture Myths and Facts
Here are some common misconceptions about dentures and the real facts. If you have any other questions about dentures or your oral health, just ask.
- Denture Myth: Once I receive my new dentures, I’m set for life.
- Denture Fact: Dentists at Aspen Dental practices recommend replacing your dentures every 5-7 years. Natural teeth wear down and stain over the years; your dentures will, too. The tissue in your mouth and jawbone changes constantly. As a result, your dentures will require adjusting and rebasing periodically so that they continue to fit comfortably and securely.
- Denture Myth: Once I receive my new dentures, I don't have to go to the dentist anymore.
- Denture Fact: You will need to see your dentist at least once a year so that your dentures can be adjusted and potentially serious problems can be avoided. Be sure to see your dentist at the first sign of any irritation or frequent sore spots on your gums.
- Denture Myth: I will never be able to eat foods like apples and corn on the cob with dentures.
- Denture Fact: Although eating with dentures takes adjustment and time, you will be able to enjoy eating apples, corn and many other foods. Remember, your dentist and dental team are always here to help.
- Denture Myth: It will take a lifetime to adjust to my new dentures.
- Denture Fact: Sure, your new dentures will take some getting used to but your facial muscles and oral tissues will adapt to the dentures in a very short time and you should soon feel quite comfortable with them. If not, just tell us—there are plenty of things we can do to help you feel more comfortable with your dentures.
Finding us is as easy as
typing in the little box below